Learn how to extract parts from imported CAD for use in workflows.
- CAD Parts
- CAD Assemblies
- nTop 3.30+
CAD assemblies are now not flattened with our latest version of the Import Part block. To preserve the assembly hierarchy on import, we added a type called Component that you will find under any Part objects.
Component contains instance, placement, and template.
Instance is a Part type object representing the CAD component in the assembly structure. You will find all bodies and curves of each assembly component under this.
Placement is a Transform object required for transforming the Template into the Instance.
Template is a Part type object representing the original part-level design.
Start with an imported CAD part.
Extraction by manual selection on screen:
To extract CAD Faces:
- Single: Click on the face you want to extract
- Multiple: Hold SHIFT or CTRL and click on the faces you want to select
- R-click and choose the option "Create CAD Face Variable" or "Create CAD Face List Variable" if multiple selected
To extract CAD edges or vertices:
- Single: Click on the edge or vertex you want to extract
- Multiple: Hold SHIFT or CTRL and click on the edges or vertices you want to select
- R-click and choose the option "Create CAD Vertex Variable" or "Create CAD Edge Variable."
To create an Implicit Body or CAD Body:
- Single: Double click on the body (or just select a face on the same body if converting to Implicit)
- Multiple: Hold SHIFT or CTRL and double-click on the bodies you want (or choose just a face on the same body if converting to Implicit)
- Implicit: Right-click and choose "Convert CAD Body to Implicit Body" or "Convert CAD Bodies to Implicit Bodies."
- CAD: Right-click and select the option "Create CAD Body Variable" or "Create CAD Body List Variable."
Extraction by Properties:
1. Open up the Properties Panel for the Imported part
2. Expand the components when importing assemblies and bodies in case of CAD parts Properties until you reach the desired element. Drag it into the Notebook to create a block from it.
And that's it! You've successfully extracted parts from your imported CAD Body for other workflows.
Are you still having issues? Contact the support team, and we'll be happy to help!